Find cheap flights to Portugal
Good to know
|January||Best time to beat the crowds (6% less expensive on average)|
|February||Most popular time to fly (19% more expensive on average)|
Average price of a return ticket
|£238||(avg. price over the last 2 weeks)|
Good deal for a return ticket
Top tips for finding cheap flights to Portugal
- Looking for cheap airfare to Portugal? 25% of our users found return tickets to Portugal for the following prices or less: From London £111, from Bristol £128, from Birmingham £132
- Book at least 3 weeks before departure in order to get a below-average price.
- High season is considered to be July, August and September. The cheapest month to fly to Portugal is January.
- Most flights to Portugal fly to either Faro (for a seaside retreat) or Lisbon (to tour the city). Lisbon Airport (LIS) is the main international airport in Portugal, and this is the airport to fly into if you are looking to explore central Portugal. Faro airport (FAO) serves the southern coast of Portugal and the area with beautiful beaches and resorts known as the Algarve. You can reach the north of Portugal by flying into Porto airport (OPO), and many budget flights to Portugal land here.
- For a less conventional holiday in Portugal, consider Madeira. The island is served by Madeira Airport (FNC), which is an international airport and has direct flights to and from Europe.
- If a connection asks you to go from Lisbon terminal 1 to terminal 2, you should be careful with the stopover time. This means that you will have to go through security, pick up your bags and then catch bus to the other terminal, so ensure that there is ample stopover time. You may prefer to choose a connecting flight with the same airline or alliance, so that if you are delayed and miss your flight, you can book the next available flight.
- In Portuguese airports, passport control is usually after the duty-free lounge and can take some time, so when departing from Portugal, ensure that you have plenty of time to clear passport control after duty-free shopping to avoid missing your flight. Budget carriers can also have long lines during peak season, so you may want to arrive at the airport earlier.
- As a British citizen, you do not need a visa for short stays in Portugal. You do not need additional passport validity beyond your stay in Portugal. It may be worth checking the government website for up-to-date information on travel to the European Union.
FAQs - booking Portugal flights
How long is the flight to Portugal?
What is the cheapest flight to Portugal?
Which airlines fly to Portugal?
What are the most popular destinations in Portugal?
I would like to go surfing. What flights to Portugal should I take?
I would like to visit Sintra, where should I fly to?
What transport is there from the airport to the city?
Where should I fly to in Portugal for family holidays?
How does KAYAK’s flight Price Forecast tool help me choose the right time to buy?
Top 5 airlines flying to Portugal
Scores according to KAYAK customer reviews
Book cheap flights to Portugal (Return)
Book cheap flights to Portugal (One-way)
We attempt to get accurate prices, however, prices are not guaranteed.
We’re not the seller
At KAYAK we don’t set prices, so it’s not possible for us to guarantee what other companies are selling.
We aggregate tons of data for you
Our service lets you quickly and easily compare results from hundreds of travel sites at once. In this sense, KAYAK is a search engine and we don't guarantee prices we find.
Why aren’t prices accurate 100% of the time?
Prices on airline seats, hotel rooms and car hires can change frequently. Several people may also be trying to buy the same travel option simultaneously. As a result, you may find on occasion that certain prices are no longer available.
More questions or if you have a bad price to report to us
Please send us an email and someone from our team will get back to you promptly.