Find cheap flights to South Africa
Good to know
|May||Best time to beat the crowds (4% less expensive on average)|
|October||Most popular time to fly (7% more expensive on average)|
Average price of a return ticket
|£860||(avg. price over the last 2 weeks)|
Good deal for a return ticket
Top tips for finding cheap flights to South Africa
- Looking for cheap airfare to South Africa? 25% of our users found return tickets to South Africa for the following prices or less: From Birmingham £557, from Newcastle upon Tyne £603, from London £628
- Book at least 3 weeks before departure in order to get a below-average price.
- High season is considered to be January, November and December. The cheapest month to fly to South Africa is May.
- There are a number of international airports in South Africa that provide onward connections to other destinations within the country. Oliver Tambo International Airport (ORT) in Johannesburg is the central hub and from here you can get flights to all other cities in South Africa. If you want to visit the south of the country, you can fly into Cape Town International Airport (CPT), while King Shaka International Airport (DUR) in Durban will give you easy access to the coastline of KwaZulu-Natal.
- If you are travelling to South Africa with children, you will need to ensure that you are carrying full unabridged birth certificates for each child under the age of 18, especially if only one parent is travelling with the child. While this rule may not apply if both parents are travelling, the South African authorities reserve the right to ask to see the birth certificate and will turn you away at the border if you cannot produce it.
- Visitors looking at flights to South Africa to visit the world-famous Kruger National Park in the north-east of the country should consider flying into Oliver Tambo in Johannesburg and catching an onwards domestic flight to Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMI) in Nelspruit. The flight takes approximately 45min. It is also possible to fly to Nelspruit from Cape Town and Durban. In Nelspruit you can hire a car or catch a brebooked transfer to travel to Kruger.
- If you are planning on driving the Garden Route, you could book a flight to George Airport (GRJ), which is situated at one end of this drive from the Eastern Cape to Cape Town. George Airport only has a domestic terminal, so you would need to book a connecting flight from your point of entry into South Africa to George, where you can then collect a hire car for the rest of your journey along the coast.
- There is a limit to the amount of South African currency that you can carry into the country in cash and it is advisable to check this limit before you fly as it changes frequently. You can also carry a limited amount of cash in foreign currency that you can change at a bureau du change in the airport or, alternatively, use your credit or debit card at an ATM in the airport.
FAQs - booking South Africa flights
How long is the flight to South Africa?
What is the cheapest flight to South Africa?
Which airlines fly to South Africa?
What are the most popular destinations in South Africa?
Which airlines operate non-stop flights to South Africa?
What are the rules about car seats for children in South Africa?
Where should I fly to in South Africa if I want to go to the Drakensberg?
Do I need a visa for South Africa?
How does KAYAK’s flight Price Forecast tool help me choose the right time to buy?
Top 5 airlines flying to South Africa
Scores according to KAYAK customer reviews
Book cheap flights to South Africa (Return)
Book cheap flights to South Africa (One-way)
Flights to South Africa
We attempt to get accurate prices, however, prices are not guaranteed.
We’re not the seller
At KAYAK we don’t set prices, so it’s not possible for us to guarantee what other companies are selling.
We aggregate tons of data for you
Our service lets you quickly and easily compare results from hundreds of travel sites at once. In this sense, KAYAK is a search engine and we don't guarantee prices we find.
Why aren’t prices accurate 100% of the time?
Prices on airline seats, hotel rooms and car hires can change frequently. Several people may also be trying to buy the same travel option simultaneously. As a result, you may find on occasion that certain prices are no longer available.
More questions or if you have a bad price to report to us
Please send us an email and someone from our team will get back to you promptly.